Case Study: 312 Boxing
312 Boxing is a training service that brands itself as a hybrid between boxing and fitness training. This team project was done to help Coach B, the business owner, redesign her website to curate an authentic space, and redevelop the scheduling process for users.
Two week sprint
Bridging the Gap Between User and Business
Mission: Provide training for both fitness enthusiasts and amateur boxers, making boxing a fun way to do fitness.
- Redesign to reflect brand
- Identify existing issues
- Identify user goals and frustrations
Metrics of Success: Positive feedback from user testing
We started by conducting user interviews with the client, existing 312 Boxing users, and others. In doing so, we were able to consolidate the business goals and users needs.
- Trust and confidence is needed for potential clients so they know they are booking the right person.
- Ease of use for navigating the website will help cut back on user's frustrations and help users find the information they need.
- Straightforward scheduling and visibility is a must for users, as most users were confused by the location and how to schedule a session.
This helped us to better understand the emotions of our users when going through the process of finding a trainer.
Because 312 Boxing is a unique business, we took a look at other trainers and gyms to gather information on industry standards.
We were able to consolidate two types of personas, the fitness enthusiast and amateur boxer, both of which represent the ideal 312 Boxing user.
How Might We?
How might we create an authentic, trustworthy, and easy to use website for new clients, such as fitness enthusiasts and amateur boxers, to help them get useful information about the business and sign up for boxing fitness sessions?
312boxing.com will be a service that provides users with detailed information on training sessions and a way to schedule appointments one on one with Coach B; whether it's for fitness enthusiasts or boxers. It will be a curated space that accurately reflects 312 Boxing's brand and be a welcoming, authentic environment for users to make an informed decision on booking a trainer.
Since the organization and information architecture was a big pain point for our users, we decided to go with creating a siteflow.
Sketches to Lo-Fi
1. An opening statement at the top was added, including an initial promo video for users.
2. A mission statement was also added on the website, providing a business overview.
3. "What makes us unique" helps to give users a better understanding of the services that 312 Boxing provides.
4. Testimonials address users need for trust and confidence, by providing a space for them to read about other people’s experiences with 312 Boxing.
5. "Boxing training vs. Fitness training" on the scheduling page provided more information for users to digest regarding the services provided.
6. Session options are outlined and more clear, as each card provides detailed information on each session.
Lo-Fi Usability Testing
- Information on the homepage is clear, “I know what I’m getting into from this.”
- Too much scrolling, information should be condensed
- Learn more button is confusing
- Testimonials on the homepage are good
- Checkout process is fairly straightforward
Client Design Critique
- Wants packaging deals to be on homepage.
- “Boxing Trainer VS. Fitness Training” tagline is a little confusing.
- Too much content on the homepage, needs to be more concise.
- Thinks there is an uneven balance of text and imagery.
High Fidelity Prototype
Hi-Fi Usability Testing
- Users stated they would feel confident in booking a session from 312 Boxing
- Enjoyed how streamlined the site was
- Much more clear and concise compared to the original website
- Users liked the ease of use, stated it was easy to navigate
As a team we were all able to challenge ourselves both during the research stages and during the design phase. Given the two week sprint, we are all satisfied with the work we produced, and were happy that the client loved what we had created for her. Some next steps that can be taken are as follows:
- Implement design onto existing website through a website builder.
- Possible development for user profile set-ups.
- Implementation and testing for other scheduling functions